• It makes it easier to get the information they are looking for online (no more typing) – they simply talk into the phone or device and magically an answer gets returned.
• They can do more than search (although everything starts with a search). Now they can do things such as order products, order yummy local delivery food, book appointments, turn on lights and so on.
How people search through voice and how you can get them to search for you
So how can we optimize or set up our website for these voice devices that are now taking over the world!? You need an SEO strategy targeted for voice search and you need to start integrating voice with your current SEO action plan. Research has shown that people search differently when it comes to voice search.
For example, when they speak into a phone the search queries (what they say) are much longer and conversational. So! Figuring out how people talk or ask questions with voice search is important but also really easy to test out for yourself. How do you talk to your voice search device? Go for it! Ask a question right now. What happened? What were your results?
Most likely you started your voice search with a why, who, what, where and when! Wow, I think I just got teleported back to English class.
When people search through voice it sounds like this:
Google, where is the nearest donut shop to me? Or Siri, Where can I find someone who can fix my refrigerator? Or maybe, Alexa, Where do hamsters come from? (This last one was a real example of what my friend searched for after reading about how we only see hamsters in pet shops and was wondering where wild hamsters came from) and lastly, When will my wife Lady Gaga be performing in Phoenix?
Is this voice search stuff making sense now? I really hope so! Okay, stay with me because I still need to give you more information. You with me? Okay, good. Moving on.
How to figure out how people are searching for you
How do we know how people are searching for our business through voice search? Well, we got to dig deep and research guys. No one said this shit was easy, it never is! But keep in mind that Google is always looking for the most relevant websites for their users so making sure you are relevant as fuck is absolutely important or else google will not use your website content, period. If you aren’t useful to its users, you are a ghost online!
Let’s ask the question, are you relevant to your market? Are you answering what your people/personas are searching for? If you are not, you better start the quick start process I am about to share and give away to you because I want you to rock online.
Voice search research quick start steps
In order to find out what your market is looking for, we must research online. We can start off my making assumptions but at some point, we are going to need real data. So where can we find real data?
1. Use Social Media – go online where your market is. What are your people most engaged by? What are they saying? What are they asking? What are the problems they are trying to solve?
2. Use a free tool called Answer the Public – This is a great tool that allows you to enter a keyword and returns to you the questions that people are actually asking online. So, for example, I enter the keyword “pizza” and here is the screenshot of what it returned to me:
3. Use a paid tool that allows you to get real data – free tools work but they won’t give you it all. You need to at least pay for one tool that can help.
So here is a list of paid tools you can use for your Voice Search Research:
After the research is over, it’s time to set up your website for voice search.
First off, the research stage is never over. You will have to research on a monthly basis if you truly want people to find you through voice search and google. But the good news is that I an going to now show you awesome ways to set up your website with the research you gathered. The best way to implement voice search SEO on your website:
- Stop procrastinating or not making time for what matters, LIKE YOUR BLOG PAGE- start your blog web page and stay consistent. You aren’t a writer? Great hire one! And use the research data to write about topics your market is searching for.
- Use Yoast SEO on your WordPress website to use the keyword data you acquired from your research on your websites page titles, meta descriptions, and meta keywords. Don’t have WordPress? Switch to the dark side, I recommend it if you are going to be doing SEO for your local business. If not, you will have to hire someone to do it for you.
- Use structured data (Schema) on your website. This is micro coding goodness for google and can improve your voice search. We recommend the Schema plugin for your WordPress website.
- Make sure your website has all your basic information correct such as business name, address/location and so on. For example, if you are a local restaurant did you provide the menu and specials? And as always, just make sure that the web page content itself is answering what people are searching for. Rewrite and update your web page content if you have to!
Bonus: Make sure you have a google my business listing (Google +) set up with all your current business info and always link it to your website. To and from. And also, the info you do put in the google listing or any other listing must match the info found on your website.
Extra Bonus: Depending on the type of business you are, never forget all other places to list your business such as Yelp, Facebook, and free or paid listings that are popular in your industry. I am always learning about new ones.
I hope that you found this voice search article informative! And that I answered some or hopefully all of your questions in an easy to understand format. I try my best to not be super geeky (technical) when I write.
So what will you be doing today in regards to setting up your website for voice search? Do you have any other useful tips you can share with the local businesses in your area? Did I forget something? Comment below, I’d love to hear them.